If your toilet is clogged, unclogging it can suddenly be the most important thing in your life. Most of the time your toilet is clogged as a result of something getting lodged in the P-trap built into your toilet. Usually plunging the toilet will clear the obstruction and you resume life as usual. Never try fishing it out with a coat hanger as this will scratch the porcelin in your toilet bowl.
Plunging a Clogged Toilet in Tustin
- If for some reason there is not enough water in the bowl to cover your plunger then put more water in so it covers your plunger.
- Place the plunger squarely over the hole in the bottom of the toilet and begin pluning vigorously 10-12 times.
Remove the plunger to see if the water drains.
- If not then repeat the plunging process.
- If you have a truly persistant clog and plunging doesn’t work then you will need to auger the toilet. Don’t use a regular hand auger for this however as it may shatter the toilet bowl. You will need a special “Closet Auger” to do this job.
Augering a Clogged Toilet
- Place the toilet auger gently down into the hole in the bottom of the toilet.
Turn the handle clockwise as you push the auger into the hole further and further.
As you push the auger through the P-trap of the toilet it should dislodge the blockage and push it into the drain pipe.
- If the auger catches the object then slowly continue cranking while pulling back on the auger and until you can remove the oblject.
- If this does not work and you still have a clogged toilet then the next step is to remove the toilet completely and go in from the backside.
If you are still unable to unclog your toilet then it’s time to call in a professional. The expert drain cleaning plumbers at SewerTV can unclog your toilet in a jiffy!